Thursday, November 7, 2013

Celebrate Who You Are Now

I recently had the enormous pleasure and opportunity to take a girls trip with my best friend. We went to San Francisco and had seriously the most amazing experiences. We didn't rent a car and walked everywhere which gave us such a feel for the city. We met so many amazing people and had such great experiences. Often when you take a trip like that there is a misstep here or there, a bad dinner, a bad bar etc but not on this trip. It was serendipitous. Everything was amazing, if expensive, but still amazing.

We ate and drank. Drank and ate, and shopped.
The shopping is what I want to talk to you about.
We stopped in a ton of shops and tried on clothes. Everything I tried on was cute and affordable(ish)  but in my mind I kept thinking "man, in five to ten pounds this will really look great. I won't get it now I will wait to buy new stuff till I lose a little more."
To my best friends credit she told me I looked amazing and to buy a couple of things (even if our tastes are completely different).
Now sitting at home bathing the kids and thinking about the trip the thing I regret is not buying that damn dress.
It had cut outs on the side and was a summery dress. It had a long flowy see through top skirt and a short black mini skirt under it. I looked good in it and would have stopped traffic in it in about 10 more pounds.

I realize now that I need to stop living in the future where I "look better, leaner, weigh less, have more confidence" and start living in the now.

Yes, I continue to get healthier each month. I will end up smaller than I am now. However, I will never be back in San Fran with my best friend with the opportunity to buy a kick ass dress that looked great on me.
My own body issues and fear kept me from buying that dress and I regret it.

Love what you are now ladies and gentleman and celebrate it. You can always hire a tailor to take in a great dress if you lose a ton of weight. You can always wear a jacket over a summer dress until it is summer.
You can not, however, get back the experience of buying something you really like with someone you really love.
We spend so much time thinking about the body we want and need to spend time loving the body we have.
I am trying to do this and I invite you to do it with me.
Love yourself and celebrate your journey. You might be smaller and healthier later down the line but you will never be you in this moment again.

1 comment: